Tuesday, March 14, 2006

On Holi.......

‘As today is Holi I wish you all a Happy Holi’

This was one of the dumb lines that I came across while surfing various blogs. I thought I would spare the person the humiliation of suffering alone. So I took some burden off him or her.

Besides I had no spectacular headline to think off.

My Holi is absolutely ‘thanda’. I am at home all squeaky clean while down below I see children and adults stuffing color onto their faces and mouths alike. I see colors of all hues and shades on the faces and teeth of persons who are enjoying it. These persons will remember today’s Holi even after today. Because they will be reminded about it when they see the colors on their food bite days from today.

In between all these celebrations I see some sparkling people. Not because some Aishwarya Rai had come in our society, but due to the fact they were covered in peculiar colors of Golden and Silver. Sparkling under the morning sun they were looking especially queer. They looked slated to play a warriors’ role in a play or something alike. These colors were not in vogue or maybe not available when I was young and playing Holi.

Suddenly you find projectiles in the form of balloons flying around, today they being more potent than our nuclear arsenal combined.

As more and more people get into the festive mood I find some people in a state of euphoria and ecstasy. They seem to be in some kind of drug induced trance. Such is the power of Holi in our country.

Before I can get into my patriotic mood completely, suddenly comes a splash of water. I think they have modified a household water pipe into a fire hose of some kind. And amidst all the drenched people in various colors you can’t help but notice two young eleven year olds just standing there with their mouths opened. I try to find the source of their reactions. I find the young boys are watching a pretty young dumb girl in T-shirt and jeans, all drenched. These poor boys are trying to comprehend the new information being presented to them by her.

All in a days work I guess.

The DJ keeps spinning his records. I wish to be in his shoes, partly because I love music and partly because I have just got new DJ software. I am wondering whether to go down and join the festivities or not. Just then my mom yells to pack my bags as I have to move out of town in a few days from now.

I stop wondering and start packing my bags.

Happy Holi.

1 comment:

Autumn Leaf said...

Hi,thanks for visiting my blog. U r right, can we ever rise above our bengali status?? about the crispness of my husband's shirt, am yet to find the raaz behind it even after nearly 24 years! writing has been one passion with me, could never find enough time. now there is plenty but thoughts take time... it is autumn... well almost. keep expressing.