Saturday, March 04, 2006

Another day in the train.

I come home daily tired and exhausted. Everyday has its own hassles. And traveling on Mumbai’s local trains can be a harrowing experience in a different way altogether.

Just a while back I was traveling in a local train, there was this man who was seemingly frustrated in the jam packed, bone crushing crowd. He had a ‘minor altercation’ with other fellow passengers. At that time I was standing in one corner and observing. Just to let you know that since the day I started traveling, not one day has gone by where there has not been a squabble in the train coaches. I wondered why…

In retrospect, there was no need to wonder. I find, in a cramped coach with almost three hundred to four hundred people on board, you can hardly expect anything else but for tempers to flare up. Many are in a hurry. Many have personal anguish written on their faces. One young college fellow is desperately trying to ward off other people and protecting his girlfriend by forming a cocoon around her. One fellow is practically wondering how to stand with one lunch box in hand and a file on the other and his bag hanging from his shoulders. Almost seven people are hanging precariously from one footbridge. Some of them hang there to get the fresh breeze; some just have no choice but to hang. Another fellow traveler is wondering how to reach out to his mobile phone which is ringing incessantly in the midst of this maddening crowd.

But as I stand there observing, my eyes fixed themselves on an old man. His wrinkles spoke of the years gone by. His eyes conveyed no particular emotion. An old woman was standing close to him, his wife, I assumed. He hand one hand round her shoulder. In the midst of all the noise, all the crowd, they were quiet. Their lips never moved. Both of them were staring out into the evening sun. Were they used to traveling like this, I wondered. Or were they too tired to complain? Or just maybe they chose to travel silently, a wise choice for an old couple.

As I dodge other people elbows, shoulders, bags and other things. I still cannot get my eyes off the elderly couple. How can they be so peaceful and quiet in this atmosphere? None were giving any regards to their old age. They too were being hassled by others. How can one be so nonchalant, so stoic in a way…..how?

While I was pondering this, the next station came. I got down, so did the elderly couple. Just out of curiosity I decided to follow them till the exit. They both, hand in hand were walking towards the exit. Still their eyes conveyed no expression, people still jostled by them, some shoving and pushing them along the way. Just then I find a faint smile on the old mans lips. His eyes were more purposeful, his movements, suddenly becoming co-coordinated. It looked as if some alien force had instilled some life in him. He waved to somebody. My eyes followed them. What had happened? How come this transformation? Just then I see a gathering of about ten to twelve people. A man bowed down and touched his feet, most probably his son. Same he did with his mother. I noticed that a tear drop had formed in the elderly woman’s eyes.

Now they seemed to be full of life. They took the small children in their laps and started playing with them. I could see them conversing, laughing, gesturing etc. One by one they boarded their Toyota Qualis and left. Their loud voices slowly trailed off. All was once as before.

A cold breeze had started blowing now. I just stood there. Pondering on the events I had just witnessed. I realized something. Something you all must have realized by now. Their hope had not diminished. Although they were old and haggard, they lived for their loved ones, and came back to them after their long and hard travel.

I smiled to myself and I started walking towards my house. The cool breeze was swaying over my face. I prepared myself for another harrowing day tomorrow.

Life suddenly seemed full of hope. It felt like it was worth living again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debayan,

Good writeup. As you mentioned earlier, it is a touching story.

I wish most of the old people travelling in the train have the partial luck (atleast on the other end of their train journey), which this couple had. There might be so many more people who wish but still cannot meet their their sons and extended family. In some cases the latter become the reason to dump them out of house.

Anyways, I felt happy for the extended family of these old people, for they had someone to greet at the exit of station and offer them a ride home.

Regards,
Abhijit.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

The story is really touching...
u described the life of the local train in a very good manner.(every person travelling in the train has to struggle and reach their destination)as u and i do.

The best part here i liked is, even in such a extreme situation the old couple is there with each other....and are waiting eagerly to reach their destination , to meet their dear ones.

Good story!!!!!